Posted on February 11th, 2009
Teacher: Ed Selling
- Young students will learn the rules of chess starting with learning the Pawn Game (just pawns against each other with the goal of being the first one to get a pawn to the other side of the board).
- We will learn how each piece moves and gradually add them to the chessboard with similar small games to learn how to use each piece.
- In addition to the concepts of Win, Lose, and Draw we will learn about Sportsmanship. Making and keeping friendships while playing is more important than just winning a game!
- We will learn to recognize patterns and how to quietly concentrate.
- Learning how to imagine what will happen in the future on the chessboard and the consequences of our actions.
- We will learn about Check and Checkmate and also Draws.
Chess is a complicated game but can be learned by young students.